Originally, the building may have been Mr Kennaway’s private residence, a local landowner, which was probably purchased by the South Devon Railway (SDR) back in 1844 who bought most of the properties in Marine Parade, to avoid opposition to the construction of the railway. The house may therefore, have become known as Kennaway's House.
Indeed, Great Cliff House (or Kennaway's House) may have been used by the SDR as offices and as a meeting place for Directors, being let out to Joseph Samuda who was the Patentee of the Atmospheric Railway, to supervise construction.
Nowadays, the current Great Cliff building is privately owned by all the Leaseholders who purchased the Freehold of the property. Out of 23 apartments, a maximum number of 5 are let out as Holiday Apartments.
The property is managed by Crown Property Management Ltd in conjunction with the Leaseholders’ own Management Company – Great Cliff (Dawlish) Ltd.
FOR OUR LATEST NEWS AT GREAT CLIFF, PLEASE CLICK HERE!